By Dr David Laing Dawson
Open letter to all the sane and sensible Republican lawmakers who wish to see their children and grandchildren grow up in a safe world.
It is time to huddle with sane and sensible Democrats and figure out how to remove Donald Trump from office. Perhaps you are doing that already. God speed.
Thursday this past week, for almost 90 minutes, Donald Trump gave us what has been called “vintage Trump.”
And in that almost 90 minutes, once again, Mr. Trump demonstrated that you have elected for your president a man who is:
- A world-class narcissist
- A man with a very short attention span (unless he is the subject of praise, and adulation)
- A careless liar. A very careless liar. “You look at what’s happening last night in Sweden.”
- A man with a teenager’s vocabulary and the conceptual abilities of a 14 year old.
- A man for whom everything (and I mean everything) is about his own greatness.
- A man with very poor impulse control.
- A man with a level of knowledge of the world equivalent to that of a bright 12 year old from a good public school: “I’ve been briefed…and I can tell you one thing about a briefing that we’re allowed to say …because anybody who ever read the most basic book can say it…nuclear holocaust would be like no other.”
- A man with no sense of the complexities (and safeguards) of governance in a democratic system. “The FAKE NEWS media (failing
@nytimes, @NBCNews, @ABC, @CBS, @CNN) is not my enemy, it is the enemy of the American People!”
- A man who, strikingly, does not notice, does not seem to understand or care about, the meaning and inferences of his own words. “You will never meet a person less anti-Semitic (less racist) than I am.” “I’m not calling it fake news anymore, I’m calling it very fake news.”
- A man who always blames others, who cannot take responsibility for any failures or mistakes or even oversights. “I was given that information. I don’t know. I was just given it. We had a very, very big margin.”
- A man still obsessing about the woman (Hillary) who almost beat him, and the black man more loved than he.
- A man who lives for adulation, excitement, winning, not working, not actually doing a job. Hence the constant replay of the November election, and the reprise in Florida last Saturday evening.
Dr. Francis rightly points out that we should not diagnose from a distance, and that a criterion for the diagnosis of narcissistic personality disorder is that the patient be suffering, not merely wreaking havoc on others.
On the other hand, Typhoid Mary was healthy, yet few would disagree with removing her from the kitchen.
And we have lately seen glimmers of the rage within, the rage that will be unleashed when he is cornered, trapped, and finally undone.
Please read my manual for undermining democracy and note the progress to date.